Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Giving Nerds a bad name



I have been a comic book reader as long as I can remember. The first comic I remember was an Incredible Hulk comic with the Abomination in it that my grandfather bought for me on the way to the cottage.

For a long time comics were not cool to be into if you were older then 10. I was and waved my fanboy flag high and proud. I remember when the Spider-Man movie coming out was to be directed by Jim Cameron.

Flash forward, I'm now in my late 20's, reading and writing comics are now much more acceptable. Hell I have converted a gorgeous 30ish exotic dancer to reading comics.

But every once and a while something gives us a bit of a bad name.

Apparently slow news day on last Thursday caught up with the statue you see on your screen. Now apparently Sideshow Collectibles has created a line of statues with Adam Hughes (good artist, but excels at drawing hot women) to do a naughty girl line of Marvel comic statue thingys (they're calling them Comiquettes...whatever that means).

Now I don't particularly like the statue. I don't think it's a great version of Mary Jane and the pose itself is just kind of weird but I can understand others who would. This is not the kind of thing minors can afford (the price tag for this sold out limited edition statue thingy is 124.99 US) so that doesn't bother me. The fact she's doing laundry doesn't bother me; Mary Jane is Spidey's wife, believe it or not, even with the highest amount of women's lib, you live with someone for over a year let alone how many they've been together, you are probably going to do each other's laundry at least once. Hell, I've done a little laundry of women I've lived with who I wasn't dating.

What bothers me is MSNBC did a piece on it that you can see here and it is just plain bad.

Who the hell got the guest for this? Feedback? A dude who won a reality show to be a superhero? Was there no one at Marvel to answer a few stupid questions? Did anyone at MSNBC even think about talking to anyone at Marvel?

Some how I doubt it.

No comments: